5 Steps to Instantly Improve Your Posture!
By Dr Michelle Zhou McCulloch, Chiropractor
Feeling the slouch? If, like many of us, you spend your working day hunched over a laptop, here are five easy steps to improve your upper body posture in the time it takes to read this guide.
- Stop whatever you are doing, place your hands by your side, close your eyes and take five deep breaths to reset and relax completely.
- Find the top of your sternum (the notch between your collar bones). Now attempt to lift the sternum up towards the ceiling as high as possible.
- Take note of this movement as it automatically moves your shoulders and neck into a better position. Holding this position, take another five deep breaths; notice how you are now able to breathe in more deeply to your belly.
- Resume what you were doing before, but with a new awareness of your posture. Try your best to maintain this position.
- Repeat the above steps as many times as you need to throughout the day!
*** The above steps may be taken in either standing or seated positions.
*** Be gentle and patient with yourself; if you feel any pain, consult a professional health practitioner.